The Kern County Parks Division has 40 picnic areas in almost every community in Kern County. Most of these parks offer you cooling shade trees, playgrounds and picnic tables. They are an ideal spot for a family gathering, for example, as an inexpensive and fun alternative for your children's birthday parties. You can even bring a bounce house, with a confirmed reservation, if it is on our list of approved providers.
We also offer group picnic areas to accommodate events such as a family reunion, a company picnic or a wedding. We invite you to visit our parks to determine the best one for your upcoming event.
Some of the amenities may include raised bandstands with electrical outlets, deep pit barbecues, food preparation area, large grills, picnic tables and children's play areas - just about everything you need for a successful event.
- Picnic Areas
General Location: This three-acre picnic ground is part of the Metro Recreation Complex on North Chester Avenue in Bakersfield, CA. The picnic ground sits between a sports area and the Kern Pioneer Village. To the north lie the Sam Lynn Ballpark , the Junior Baseball Association Complex, two regulation softball diamonds, a batting range, a gymkhana area, a BMX track and a radio-controlled car raceway.
Activities & Amenities
- Available for reservation by groups
- Raised bandstand with electrical outlets
- Two deep pits (water hoses and shovels not provided)
- Two large grills, food warmer, cooker
- Food preparation tables, sink, 118 picnic tables
- Timer-controlled lighting
- Lighted playground equipment
- Groups larger than 300 people must provide - at their own expense - chemical toilets and suitable dumpsters.
- Since park personnel may be working on the grounds as an ongoing part of their duties, at the same time that an event is in progress, cooperation is necessary for the sake of the overall grounds maintenance schedule.
- Groups expecting the full return of the Security Deposit should encourage the use of the trash containers, clean off all leavings, debris and posters from the tables, lawns, walls and parking lots and leave the facilities undamaged. Overfilling trash containers in excess of 50 pounds each may result in an additional labor charge for trash redistribution.