Kern County Home
County Counsel County Building  

County of Kern
County Counsel

Q: Can I get free legal advice from the Office of the County Counsel?
A: The Office of the County Counsel provides legal advice only to the Board of Supervisors, elected officials, and County of Kern employees for matters related to the operation and management of the County.  
Back to Top
Q: I have suffered personal injury or property damage, which I believe was caused by the County or one of its employees. How do I  go about collecting for my damages?
A: The process of collecting damages from the County is started by filing a claim with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, located at the County Administration Building, 5th Floor, Bakersfield, California  93301, (661) 868-3585.  Instructions for filing a claim can be obtained at this link or from that office, as well, or you may contact Mr. Tom Newell who is the Liability Claims Adjuster in the Office of County Counsel. Mr. Newell can be reached at 661-868-3867.

The law regarding claims against public entities is complex and has short deadlines.  You may need to seek the services of an attorney for your own protection.  You should present your claim without delay.

For additional information, please reference Government Code Section 910.

Back to Top
Q: The County is suing me for money it says I owe.  Who can I talk to about this?
A: For taxes owed, call Deputy County Counsel, Jerri Bradley at (661) 868-3819.  For all other questions, contact Chief Deputy County Counsel, Gurujodha S. Khalsa at (661) 868-3810 .
Back to Top
Q: I would like to view some County records.  Can I get them from the Office of the County Counsel?
A: The Office of the County Counsel is not the official custodian of any records of the County of Kern.  You should inquire directly at the office or location where you believe the records are maintained, or contact the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors at (661) 868-3585.
Back to Top
Q: I would like a copy of the County ordinance codes.  Can I get them from the Office of the County Counsel?
A: Please try this link: Click Here
The County Ordinance Codes can also be obtained from the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, located at  1115 Truxtun Avenue, 5th Floor.  Their phone number is (661) 868-3585.
Back to Top
Q: Can I speak with Mark L. Nations?  I believe he is the person who is working on my case.
A: Mark L. Nations is the County Counsel and his name appears on all the documents filed by anyone in the office.  The person most familiar with your case is usually the one who signed the document.  That person's name appears beneath Mr. Nation's name at the top of the document, and beneath the signature itself. If you believe you must speak with someone regarding your matter, that is the person to whom you should speak with first.  If you wish to speak to Mr. Nations, you may contact him at (661) 868-3810.
Back to Top

Last Modified 1/9/2018 Site maintained by
Website Usage Policy