Bakersfield (Main Office)
100 E California Ave
Bakersfield, CA 93307
(661) 631-6000
(661) 631-6200 (TTY)

CalWORKs Diversion Program

Do you need assistance, but do not want to go on cash aid?

Then you may be eligible for a CalWORKs Diversion payment.

If you need help with the following:

  • Finding a job
  • Job training
  • Child care
  • Car repairs
  • Finding a place to live
  • Rent or house payments
  • Home repairs
  • Utility payments
  • Reading, writing, and learning English
  • Other needs

You may choose to get a Diversion payment at the time of your cash-aid application. You may also be eligible for Medi-Cal, child care assistance and CalFresh.


In order to be eligible for the diversion program you must:

  • Apply for CalWORKs
  • Choose to participate in the Diversion Program rather than receiving cash aid.
  • Be apparently eligible for CalWORKs
  • Have, or have the potential for, ongoing income to meet your needs.
  • Have a one-time expense that needs paid.
  • Provide verification of your employment situation, need, identity and any other verification requested.

After you have applied for cash-aid, the county will tell you if you would be eligible for the Diversion program.

  • If you choose to get a Diversion payment instead of cash-aid, you will get a denial notice for cash-aid and an approval notice for the diversion program.
  • Your cash-aid may be lowered or the amount of time you can get cash-aid may be reduced if you receive aid later.

If you are interested, discuss the Diversion program with your Human Service Technician and Employment Social Service Worker.