This Countywide partnership administers a multi-faceted, public/private, interagency economic development program. The Partnership works together to achieve the goals of the County's Economic Development Strategy and includes representation from:
- Local business
- County departments
- Educational institutions
- Employee training programs
- Financial institutions
- Non-profit business service organizations
The Board of Supervisors directed the County Administrative Office to coordinate the efforts of the Partnership and make periodic reports to the Board of Supervisors regarding Partnership activities. The Board also designated the Kern Economic Development Corporation (KEDC) as the County's lead economic development entity.
Partners - County Departments
America's Job Center of California (formerly Career Services Center)
Employer and jobseeker services with several locations in Kern County
Kern County Air Pollution Control District
Air Quality Management and Permitting (east Kern areas)
Kern County Airports Department
Information about commercial and general aviation services available in Kern County, including: airline reservation numbers; commercial air service schedules; airport amenities and specifications; and commercial opportunities on Airport property.
Kern County Board of Trade
The Kern County Board of Trade is responsible for promoting and marketing Kern County. The Board of Trade administers:
- Kern County's official tourism bureau, providing visitor information and promoting Kern County as a travel-tourism destination.
- The Kern County Film Commission, providing filming permits, location scouting assistance and other services for film, television and commercial production, as well as marketing Kern County as a location for filming.
Kern County Employers' Training Resource
Professional employment services for employers and jobseekers
Kern County Public Works
County Engineering, Land Development, Building Permits, Transportation Engineering, and Road Maintenance
Kern County Human Services
Providing supportive and employment-focused services that prepare aided individuals for self-sufficiency.
Kern County Planning and Natural Resources Department
- Planning Section: General Plan, zoning, land division, and environmental review program administration. Development project proponents are encouraged to contact this department for brochures, pre-consultation meetings, and other information related to the land use permitting process.
- Community Development Section: Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy, Kern Microenterprise Opportunity Program, Economic Incentive Program, Kern Economic Development Partners coordination, Southeast Metropolitan Bakersfield Enterprise Zone, Military Base Retention, and Community Development Block Grant assistance.
Partners - Outside Agencies
CalGOLD Business Permits Made Simple
A customer-friendly Web site that identifies state and local permits, licenses and other requirements.
California State University, Bakersfield
Information on admissions, financial aid, programs offered, faculty and staff, and many other helpful links.
"Counselors to America's Small Business"
A resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration aiding in the formation, growth and success of small businesses.
Greater Antelope Valley Economic Alliance
The Greater Antelope Valley Economic Alliance, (GAVEA) exists to assure that the region maintains a well funded and sustained program to attract, retain and expand business opportunities to the greater Antelope Valley area.
Greater Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce
This site showcases information about Kern County and City of Bakersfield and serves as a referral and resource guide.
Kern Economic Development Corporation
Kern EDC is a private, nonprofit company providing confidential site selection assistance and project facilitation for companies expanding or relocating to Kern County's unincorporated communities and incorporated cities. Kern EDC also works with existing businesses, large and small, to help ensure their success and growth.
Growth financing with low down payment.
San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District
Air Quality Management and Permitting (Valley areas only).
Small Business Financing Options & Resources
Summary of the different financing options available to small businesses, including the benefits of each option.
State Employment Development Department
Direct link to job placement and referrals and information on unemployment insurance, disability insurance, employment and training, labor market conditions, and employment taxes.