Purchasing Division assists County departments, agencies, and special districts in obtaining materials, supplies, furnishings, equipment, and services at the best possible price. Through fair and open competition, Purchasing’s processes provide qualified companies the opportunity to compete for the County’s business.
Purchasing's primary functions include:
- Establishing price agreements for goods and services
- Administering competitive bids for goods and services exceeding $30,000
- Issuing purchase orders
- Approving inventory adjustment requests
- Filing/Maintaining all vehicle titles
- Reviewing RFPs to ensure open and fair processes are followed
- Managing the P-Card Program
- Executing Personal/Professional Service Agreements (PPSAs)
- Evaluating all sole source requests
- Educating and answering questions related to policies and processes
"We are here to ensure departments spend money in a cost-effective, lawful and fair manner. We have made revisions to our procurement policies over the past few years, speeding up the procurement process which saves a lot of soft dollars in administrative time."
- Carol Cox, Purchasing Manager
The Purchasing Division has won the National Purchasing Institute's Excellence in Procurement Award® every year since 2011.
This award is designed to recognize excellence in public procurement and is earned by those organizations, public or non-profit, that obtain a high score on criteria designed to measure innovation, professionalism, productivity and leadership attributes.
Kern County General Services
1115 Truxtun Avenue, 3rd Floor
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Phone: (661) 868-3000
Fax: (661) 868-3109