Kern County is actively responding to COVID-19.

Veteran ID Cards

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Veteran ID Cards

A veterans ID card or veteran designation on a DL/ID card proudly recognizes military service, and is intended to enable U.S. veterans to identify themselves as veterans without having to carry and produce their Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Form DD-214). In addition, the veteran designation may be helpful to both law enforcement and medical professionals when treating veterans in emergency situations.

Federal Veteran ID Cards

VA Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC)vhic_header_m2

For the most up to date information from the VA regarding the VHIC, click here.  

For veterans in the Bakersfield area (or those that use the VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC)) you can obtain your VHIC by heading to the CBOC, located at 1801 Westwind Dr., Bakersfield, CA 93301.  The friendly staff can direct you to the business office staff who will process your request. 


  • you must be enrolled in VA healthcare prior to getting your VHIC, and
  • in order to get your picture taken, you will need to have a current, unexpired 
    • State issued driver's license, or
    • U.S. passport or passport card, or
    • Other government ID issued by a federal, state, or local government agency

VA Veteran ID Card (VIC)

To learn about getting a Veterans ID card, click hereVIC

To be eligible for the VIC, you must have:

  • served on active duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard, and
  • Received an honorable or general discharge (under honorable conditions)

(You will need to provide a copy of your discharge papers when you apply for the VIC.)

State Veterans ID Card

Veterans California Driver License

Starting November 12, 2015, a new law allows the California DMV, upon request, to mark a Driver License/ID Card (DL/ID) with the word "Veteran" to indicate a person served in the United States (US) Armed Forces and received an other than dishonorable discharge.veteran ID

Every Veteran can get their Veteran Driver License or ID. It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!

  1. Get Your Records. Find your original or certified discharge document (for example, a Form DD-214). If you need assistance obtaining your military records, then contact any County Veterans Service Office (CVSO).

  2. Visit your local CVSO. Take your Form DD-214 and government identification to the County Veterans Service Office, located at 1120 Golden State Ave. (or call 661-868-7300 to find district office locations throughout Kern County) to obtain your Veteran Status Verification Form.

  3. Visit Any DMV Field Office. Go on-line or call any DMV for an appointment. Then bring your Veteran Status Verification Form to DMV. Complete your application, pay any application fees in addition to the $5.00 fee for your Veteran designation. You must complete all applicable application and testing requirements.

FAQs regarding the CA Driver's License program

  • Veterans ID Card – Fees

    • Is there a fee for the Veteran designation?

    • Is there a charge for going to the CVSO for the Veteran verification form?

    • Do I have to pay the $5 fee in addition to any renewal fees and obtain another form from the CVSO each time I renew my DL/ID card?

    • As a Senior, am I still required to pay the $5 fee in addition to any renewal/replacement fees for a Veteran designation on my no-fee ID Card?

    • Will I have to pay another $5 fee in addition to any DL/ID card replacement fees to replace a lost/stolen card?

    • If I have the Veteran Designation on my license and need to switch to an ID card do I need to get another Veteran verification form? And do I need to pay the $5 in addition to any ID card renewal/replacement fees again?

    • How do I remove the Veteran designation from my driver license or identification card and what are the costs?

  • Veterans ID Card – General

    • How do I get a Veteran designation on my DL/ID?

    • How do I find a County Veterans Service Office (CVSO)?

    • What information or documentation will the CVSO require before issuing the Veteran verification form?

    • How do I obtain a copy of my Form DD-214?

    • What will the Veteran designation look like?

    • Will my personal information be shared with anyone?

    • Can I have the Veteran designation on either my driver license or identification card?

    • Can I get a Veteran designation on my driver license or identification card if I show DMV my military ID card, Form DD-214 or any other document showing my military service?

    • Is this the same thing as a Veterans ID Card?

  • Veterans ID Card – Qualification

    • What are the discharge status requirements for adding the Veteran designation?

    • Can current active duty military obtain a Veteran designation on a driver license?

    • Can dependents of Veterans obtain a driver license or identification card with a Veteran designation?

    • Are there any limitations to who can obtain a Veteran designation?

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer