Navigate Down Icon

Kern County, California

General Services ♦ Parks and Recreation ♦ News and Announcements


Kern County has Funding for Projects Related to Off-Highway Motor Vehicle (OHV) Use  (PDF)

Kern County has approximately $43,000 available for funding projects related to off-highway motor vehicle use.  Only non-profit organizations and public organizations are eligible to apply.

Deadline for filing is 5:00 pm, Friday, April 12, 2019

OHV Application Form

Sample Agreement

Proposal Evaluation Procedure & Criteria

Project Report


Buena Vista Aquatic Recreation Area Closure and Construction

The Buena Vista Aquatic Recreation Area will be closed to the public from 5:00 PM Sunday, May 5th through Wednesday, May 15th due to a private event.  During this time, no entry, camping, boating, fishing, or other activities will be allowed at the location.

Additionally, for the time period beginning April 17th through May 4th, and again from May 16th through May 24th, construction for the setup and tear down of the event will be ongoing, but the park will be open to the public in most areas.  Noise levels will be higher than usual and will continue into the evening due to this construction, as well as a large number of vehicles and staffing onsite.  

We apologize for the inconvenience and will be happy to work with you to find a more desirable time to stay with us if this will hinder your visit.  We also offer camping, day use picnicking, boating, and fishing at several of our other beautiful parks and lakes within Kern County.  We are ready to assist you with those options, as well.


Parks Department Seeking Reservations Specialists at Buena Vista

If interested, please review the details below. We regularly look at these applications, especially during our peak seasons.

Position Details:
  • Position:  Extra Help Fiscal Support Assistant
  • Location: Buena Vista Lake and Campground gate area
  • Where to Apply?  County HR Website
  • Hours: Early morning or late evening shifts may be required
  • Schedule: Must be willing to work all weekends
  • Requirements: Typing and 10-key certificates  Details
  • Type of Position: Full-time work, but for a limited term


Facilities Reservations

Effective January 1, 2018 , you may make your reservations for any County facilities (except buildings) anytime up to one year in advance, subject to availability of facility.
Building reservations will be subject each year to the priority guidelines for the Advance Reservation Period for Veterans and Senior Groups.  Please see the Parks webpage under Buildings for further details on how to make a reservation for one of our County Buildings.


Reservations at Kern River Campground

Effective October 1, 2017, Reservations can be made at the Kern County River Campground by calling the main office at 661-868-7000 for the following days of stay only:  Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Extended stay beyond check out at noon on Monday will need to be made on site, on a first come/first serve basis, based on availability of campsites.

Campsites can still be rented on a first come/first serve basis based on availability of campsites 7 days a week.

Please Note:  Preferred payment method for all first come/first serve is also by credit card or debit card. Effective date for enforcement is 1/1/2018.

For more details please see the Parks and Recreation webpage under Kern River Campground.